The Story is Cooked!

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Super Mustard Cheese Fondue

We had another evening of When Do I Get A Brownie? last night, complete with much hilarity, brownies, ice cream, and other snacks. One such snack I shall call "Super Mustard Cheese Fondue." We had some leftover bread from lunch with our small group yesterday and we had cheese, of course, so I decided that cheese fondue sounded excellent. I proceeded to search the internet for cheese fondue recipes, became impatient with finding a recipe for which we actually had everything, and decided to make up my own based very loosely on multiple recipes (big surprise--Rebekah's not following a recipe!). So I threw some cream cheese (probably about 3 ounces), some grated cheddar cheese (about 1 cup), some whole milk (we had whole milk because we were going to make ice cream to go on top of the brownies; I'm not even sure I want to attempt to give an amount--maybe 1/4-1/3 cup?), some white wine (could've been around two tablespoons), and some dry mustard powder (1 tsp? 1.5 tsps? hard to say) into the Little Dipper, covered it, and plugged it in. A little later I stirred it, added more cheddar--whatever amount fit, and mentioned to Ryan that some recipes I saw called for Worchestershire sauce. We are now the proud owners of a bottle of Worchestershire sauce which we have used precisely once (aha! I can give a definitive measurement in this post. Don't worry, there won't be any more) since purchasing it at least a month ago, so Ryan said that it could give the fondue a mysterious nutty flavor--sufficient encouragement for me to add some (3-4 dashes). Then I put the lid back on and let it all melt together, stirring occasionally--the stirring was more so I could taste it than because it was necessary. I cut the bread up into cubes and also cut some red pepper slices and carrot sticks for dippers. It was apparently a good fondue if you like mustard (or even if you only slightly like mustard), but I thought it was disgusting. Everybody else liked it, though, so I thought I should probably record this for all the mustard lovers out there. Personally, I love cheese. I was sorely disappointed.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At 5:35 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

It was SOOOOO delicious.

 
At 9:43 AM, Blogger Catherine said...

Yum. (Although I'd probably try it without the mustard on your recommendation.)
I've been wanting to do a whole meal of fondue some time, but since I'm trying to do super low carb, its hard with no bread. Oh, and the whole chocolate fondue for dessert would not be so yummy with no sugar. :-P
But I might be inspired to do cheese fondue some time. I might use a bit of feta in it too, since a lot of the recipes call for some kind of fancy cheese like gruyere and I don't like those kinds and don't want to have to spend too much on them.
Oh, and I made chicken cordon bleu with bacon instead of ham and pepperjack instead of swiss and no breading. But it was yummy. :)
I gotta call you soon so I don't end up leaving comments that should be blogs!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home