The Story is Cooked!

Monday, May 12, 2008

Soda Bread

We made this recipe last night to go with our Italian Chili (which had no zucchini, but did have some sun dried tomatoes and spinach). We used bread flour instead of all-purpose flour (it's bread--shouldn't it have bread flour in it?) and I was lazy and kneaded it in the bowl instead of on a floured surface. Well, I attempted to knead it in the bowl. The line in the recipe that says the dough will be sticky--well, that's a bit of an understatement.

I'm not incredibly impressed with this bread. Ryan's assessment is that it's like cornbread, except with wheat. It definitely did not go with the Italian chili, but I really wanted bread. It was fast, which is a definite advantage some days. It's pretty good with honey or cinnamon sugar, but it will not make it onto the list of things I crave.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 12:43 PM, Blogger Catherine said...

When I want bread fast (not breakfast...although sometimes for breakfast...I'm a dork) I make either beer bread or I go to safeway.
:-D

 
At 12:53 PM, Blogger Rebekah said...

I have heard of beer bread, but we never have beer (though I have been tempted to go to the brewery that's 1/2 a mile from our house and ask if I can buy 1 cup from them). How do you make it?

Safeway is an excellent solution if we're going by there, but I didn't think about it on the way home from church (I suppose if I'd thought about bread that early, we could have just made some real bread). :( We really like their sourdough bagettes, though.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home