The Story is Cooked!

Monday, May 05, 2008

Lemon-Lime Cheesecake Bars

I don't really like the first Sunday of the month because we have to make food for potluck and for our small group meeting Sunday evening. It just seems a bit excessive most of the time--our church definitely fits the stereotype of liking to eat--we were once reading Richard Foster's Celebration of Discipline in our small group and we still had food for the meeting in which we talked about fasting--gobs of food! Anyway, this Sunday we were assigned to bring dessert to our small group meeting, which was going to involve a barbecue. Clearly, we needed something springy. As in, appropriate for Spring, not bouncy. We had some cream cheese in the refrigerator that I'd been wanted to use up (Western Family 1/3 less fat cream cheese is not a good substitute for other brands of such cream cheese--it has a teeny bit of the fat free cream cheese taste. However, it's fine for baking or cooking), so we decided that I would make this recipe (doubled since our "small" group sometimes has 17 people there), except we called them lemon-lime cheesecake bars since we didn't have enough lemons to get 1/2 cup of lemon juice (okay, so we had part of one lemon), but we do have frozen lime juice. Hence, I used the lime juice and lemon peel. Also, I wanted a graham cracker crust instead of a Nilla wafer crust (I've never been a fan of Nilla wafers). The graham cracker crust required melted butter, so in what I consider my most recent moment of brilliance in the kitchen, I put the butter in the glass mixing bowl in the oven as it preheated. Hence, the butter quietly melted away while I crushed the graham crackers. Yes, the bowl got hot, too, but since I barely had to touch it in order to mix the sugar, graham cracker crumbs, and melted butter, my sleeves sufficed for hand protection, and it was cool enough by the time I had to dump the crust into the baking pan that I could touch it directly. There were no butter splatters on the microwave ceiling and no extra pan to clean. It was marvelous. So were the cheesecake bars with defrosted three berry mix (from Costco) on top. There were only 12 people at small group, so we have at least 1/3 of the pan left...come visit us and help us finish it! Oh, and we're discussing The Dangerous Act of Worship in our small group, which is an excellent book if we do say so ourselves (we actually had one of our suggestions for a book accepted!).

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home