The Story is Cooked!

Thursday, March 06, 2008

Aunt Kathy's Bread

My Aunt Kathy makes excellent bread, so I finally got around to asking her for her recipe (hoping that she did, in fact, have some idea of a recipe--I've watched her make bread and it didn't seem to involve a lot of measuring...). She sent me a much more detailed recipe than I was expecting (still a bit sketchy, but I could work with it), but seeing as she makes three loaves at a time and our bread machine can only handle one (she uses a Kitchen Aid mixer), I had to cut the recipe to a third of its size (which only makes sense since our family is a third the size of hers). I also substituted some wheat flour for some of the bread flour because we always have wheat flour and I wanted to see if it would make much difference. I've now made the bread (okay, I've put the ingredients in the bread machine, taken them out when the machine has nicely made dough for me, shaped said dough into a loaf, let the loaf rise, and baked it in the oven--I'm not sure everyone would call that "making" bread) many times and I'm a big fan. Ryan seems to like it, too (but, as Aunt Kathy says, you can feed anyone bread fresh out of the oven and they'll think it's amazing). It makes great sandwiches and toast. Thus, I will now share my version of Aunt Kathy's recipe with the world:

1 cup 7-grain flakes (we buy these in bulk at the Good Food Store--like Whole Foods)
1 cup wheat flour
1 1/2 -2 cups bread flour
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon sugar
2 teaspoons salt
1 2/3 cups very warm water
1 heaping teaspoon yeast

Put all ingredients in bread machine in order directed by manufacturer (that's my favorite line in bread machine recipes--clearly something bad will happen if I put the flour below the water! If you're going to delay the start of the machine, I suppose it could, but if you're just using the dough cycle--which is all I ever use--nothing bad will happen if you deviate). Let machine make dough. Punch down, roll into a rectangle (I confess, I press instead of rolling), roll the rectangle up into a nice loaf, tuck the ends under, put in bread pan, and let rise in warm place until double. Bake at 350 for 40 minutes.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home