The Story is Cooked!

Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Green Salsa

We have been strong devotees to Santa Barbara brand green salsa, but it has been a while since it has been on sale. Tomatillos, jalapeños, onions, green peppers, and spices area all on sale though, so I thought it was about time I attempted green salsa.

The first step was to halve the tomatillos and broil them (that's what that setting on the toaster oven is for) on something that can catch all the juice (i.e. not on the bars). I read that they should broil until the skin is lightly blackened. While it was broiling I chopped up jalapeño, green pepper, and onion and grilled it all while adding cumin salt and garlic. Once the tomatillos were done I added the juice to the pan, then chopped up the more solid parts (it was kind of mushy) and added that to the pan. As the consistency started to dry out I added some water and let it all boil some. While that was going on I added some lime juice and got out the blender. Things were still pretty chunky so out of the pan and into the blender plus a little working of the puree button and I had some hot green salsa. I tasted some of the residue from the blender on some chips and I’m fairly optimistic that it will be tasty, but not Santa Barbara level at this point.

There are probably better ways to evenly roast the tomatillos and maybe the order should be blender then pan. Once it has cooled and had a chance for the flavors to really blend I’ll let you know how it turned out (with pictures).

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At 5:47 PM, Blogger mhkingsley said...

I am lying in bed at 12:45am reading this and getting very hungry. This is not good for my diet. Oh wait, score!, I'm not on a diet!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home