The Story is Cooked!

Sunday, September 17, 2006

Apple Chips

We purchased some Nature Valley apple chips at Albertsons the other day when they were $1 for a box of five bags (way overpackaged!) and have enjoyed them. Then we got our Kraft Food and Family magazine with directions on how to make dried apple slices in the oven. I decided that if we sliced very thinly, we could make apple chips instead of apple slices. So I sliced two apples thinly, dipped them in a mixture of lemon juice and water as suggested by the magazine (and that's really all it said--the magazine that is generally overprescriptive in recipes merely said "a mixture of lemon juice and water" with no attempt at giving amounts. Therefore, I make no attempt to give an amount either.), sprinkled them with cinnamon sugar, placed them on a baking stone, and put them in a 200 degree oven for 4 hours (the directions for apple slices were 4 to 12 hours--quite the range!). They turned out quite well and we've gobbled them up. I may not be able to take them in my lunch this week since they may not exist any longer.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At 9:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just recently tried that with banana chips. I thinly sliced a banana, put the slices on a cookie sheet (next time I'd line it with foil), baked them at 300 for 40 minutes, let them cool enough to touch, smeared them with honey (the recipe said to dip them, but that seemed like a lot of honey), and baked them for 20 or so more minutes until they were a nice darkish brown color. Mmmmm, they were tasty. I don't have a baking stone; do you think your apple chips would work on a cookie sheet?

Nicky (Alworth)

 
At 3:47 PM, Blogger Rachel said...

Why do I no longer get that magazine?

Do you think you have to put honey on them for it to work?

 
At 5:54 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

What you should really be debating is what kind of hot sauce or spice to add.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home