The Story is Cooked!

Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Cookbooks lie.

We have some apples that are getting old, so I decided to make applesauce. Most of my decision was based on the fact that the big red Betty Crocker cookbook says that it is "Fast." 5 minutes preparation, 20 minutes cooking, stir occasionally. So I could study while making it and not take a ton of time; therefore, I would have a lot of time left to study. I dutifully peeled the apples and cut them into fourths as directed by the recipe. Then I put them in the pan with 1/2 cup water, as directed, and brought it to a boil. I emptied the dishwasher during the 5 minutes that the apples and water were supposed to simmer, stirring occasionally to break the apples up. At the end of 5 minutes, the apples were still happily in fourths and had made no progress toward "tender." So I did the dishes while they continued to simmer for the next 5 minutes (the recipe did say 5-10 minutes of simmering). Then I stood over the stove for the next hour and fourteen minutes stirring occasionally and reading Contemporary Abstract Algebra. Finally, I gave up, added the nutmeg, cinnamon, and brown sugar, let simmer for one more minute, and ate chunky applesauce (in which some of the chunks were still not tender). Not fast. Not at all.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home