The Story is Cooked!

Saturday, January 07, 2017

Enchilada Casserole

Long ago I gave up on store-bought enchilada sauce.  It is easy to make much better sauce at home.  But, alas, I forgot what recipe I semi-followed before.  Tonight I tried this one: https://www.budgetbytes.com/2012/08/red-enchilada-sauce/ and it was okay, but I will try something else next time.

I start with a layer of sauce, then corn tortillas alternating layers of beans (leftover black bean soup today), rice, and cooked peppers and onions.  This time I also added some finely chopped kale on some layers.  All the layers also have some cheese (cheddar) and sauce.  Bake 350 for a bit (everything is already cooked so about 30 minutes).  Should be ready when the cheese on top is browned.  Serve with sour cream on top.  We don't bother with sour cream and instead always have good quality plain yogurt with nothing added wherever sour cream is called for.  It is best when we make our own, but we usually buy the Dannon All Natural Whole Milk yogurt.  We have had good luck with most brands that only have cultured milk and some bacteria names in the ingredients.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home