The Story is Cooked!

Thursday, November 17, 2005

Tomato Flop

Ryan decided that he wanted grilled cheese sandwiches for lunch today, and then he asked if we happened to have any tomato soup (he likes Progresso Hearty Tomato; I hate tomato soup in general, so this question was clearly only in his own interest). I didn't really feel like doing any work at the time, so I ventured downstairs to see what the pantry held. No tomato soup, no diced tomatos (despite the plethora we had--about 6 cans worth--a month ago. I have no idea where they went!), but two cans of tomato sauce (not that I know what use we have for that!) and two cans of tomato paste (vital ingredient in chili). Feeling ambitious (though only toward cooking--not graph theory, or topology, or representation theory, or the theory of what we're going to do next year, etc.), I looked on the internet for tomato soup recipes. Almost every one I found required fresh tomatoes, which we did not have, or whole canned tomatoes, which we also did not have. However, I did find a vegan recipe that only required tomato sauce (and cornstarch for thickening, but I figured flour would work just as well, and rice milk, which we did not have, but I figured cow's milk was a perfectly acceptable substitute since I didn't care about the vegan-ness at all), so I asked Ryan if he would like me to make him tomato soup. He sadly replied, "We don't have any?"
"No, but we have tomato sauce...."
"Do think you can?" Ryan asked.
"What, you think I won't be successful?!" I answered.
Of course, he reassured me that was not his thought at all; he just didn't want me to go to all that work. I insisted, so we made the soup. Ryan added some "Old World Spices," and I added the milk and flour. Then Ryan said it tasted like dough, so he added the other can of tomato sauce, since we had only used one at first (he was reluctant to waste the tomato sauce, but, as I have previously mentioned, I have no idea what we would do with it otherwise). It still tasted like dough, apparently, so Ryan ate his grilled cheese sandwich without tomato soup, which I dumped down the drain. Clearly, I was not successful. Maybe next time. Maybe there will never be a next time.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 10:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. A whole blog dedicated to your thoughts on food. How could you have kept this from me all this time? ;-)

 
At 4:01 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Catherine, it's my fault, I put her up to the whole Cooking blog thing. She even gave me a weird look when I finally came up with the name.

 
At 11:28 PM, Blogger Big T 01010100 said...

Stacy says that you can try it with the flower by cooking the flower with butter at the beginning like you do when you make a white sauce. I just want to add that I was successful in making spaghetti sauce from catchup. I will say that I did have some help from Mom Davidson. It worked though.
-- Big T 01010100

 
At 11:32 PM, Blogger Big T 01010100 said...

Rebekah, don't feel bad, just ask our mom about pumpkin soup. -- Big T 01010100

 

Post a Comment

<< Home